Thursday, May 22, 2014

Throw it at the wall and see if it sticks...

"Throw it at the wall and see if it sticks" is a saying passed on to me by a former employer.  Lora Perry, the founder of the Merrymeeting Center for Child Development in Bath (which is now known as Providence's Merrymeeting Center as they are now operated by Providence of Maine) was more than just a boss to me.  She wound up being an excellent mentor and eventually a friend who always had a way of making me see things from a different perspective and an uncanny way of encouraging me to try new things and always follow through with what I believed in.  "We are women of character" she used to say and I know know that she knew then what I might not have already become aware of... that I was meant to do more.  Something bigger than what I might have even known myself.

"Throw it at the wall and see if it sticks" was sort of Lora's mantra on getting through day to day life with twin boys with Autism.  Now, after years of trying new things, wandering down different paths, becoming a teacher and a mom and a wife it has sort of become a mantra for me as well.  It is certainly the driving force for this new adventure in education!

Because, at this time, this is what Confidence Academy is all about.  Certainly I am throwing the idea of this place at the wall and hoping that it is going to stick!  Confidence Academy is about more than teaching.  It's about the passion to teach and reach out to students and families in a personal, caring and supportive way.  It's about the desire to see class after class of children grow and graduate knowing that I did what I could to help them reach their own level of academic excellence and go on to be whatever they wish themselves to be in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment